Sunday, May 12, 2013

Brueggers Bagels copycat sun dried tomato spread recipe



I am from Michigan and we have a chain called Bruegger's Bagels that I just loved when I lived there.   There was one sandwich inparticular that I loved, the Herby Turkey bagel sandwich made with an everything bagel.  The sandwich comes with light herb garlic cream cheese, turkey, red onions and most importantly sun dried tomato spread.

While I can no longer stomach raw onions (I'm not happy about it either) the sun dried tomato spread is the king of this sandwich.

There is a really great bagel place nearby called Sonoma Valley Bagel Company that makes a most excellent everything bagel with garlic and herb cream cheese (though it's not light unfortunatley).

It's just missing that sun dried tomato spread!

Well, since becoming sensitive to several common food additives/preservatives I've become more adept at making things that remind me of foods I can't eat anymore.

I happen to know that Bruegger's actually buys this in bulk from a manufactuer in on the east coast.  They only sell in bulk though so unless you want to buy a case of the stuff they won't sell it.  Seems like they would package and sell it in the stores or something but they don't.  It also contains some chemicals I can't eat such as citric acid and so I am happier to make an organic version sans chemicals.

UPDATE:  christofoods.com is the name of the manufacturer.  The site doesn't seem to have a store.

I used all jarred spices as the original uses dried spices and I thought I might get a closer flavor this way.  I looked up the general ingredients of what Bruegger's lists as the ingredients and went from there and I have to say I was pretty happy with my results.

Ingredients

3 oz tomato paste
4.5 oz sun dried tomatoes in oil (drained and patted dry)
2 tbsp raspberry preserves (to taste)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp dried chives
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp sage

Simply dice up the sun dried tomatoes in to small 1/4" pieces and mix together all ingredients.  I recommend mixing in the preserves last and doing it to taste.  The original is quite sweet (at least to me).  Let this sit for a few hours in the refriderator as it takes a while for the full flavor to set in.

While I wouldn't make this on a regular basis because it's not great for you with the sun dried tomatoes in oil thing but it's a great occasional treat.





5 comments:

  1. Hi! I too loved the sun dried tomato spread! Thank you for sharing. Do you remember the sandwich from Breugger's called the Hot Shot Turkey Bagel Sandwich? That was my all time favorite sandwich! I would love to recreate it, but I don't remember the name of the spread on it. It was like a sweet red pepper relish I think. I contacted Breugger's one time to inquire about it and they refused to help me in any way. If you have any info about this particular sandwich and the specific ingredients involved, I would be most grateful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I too loved the sun dried tomato spread! Thank you for sharing. Do you remember the sandwich from Breugger's called the Hot Shot Turkey Bagel Sandwich? That was my all time favorite sandwich! I would love to recreate it, but I don't remember the name of the spread on it. It was like a sweet red pepper relish I think. I contacted Breugger's one time to inquire about it and they refused to help me in any way. If you have any info about this particular sandwich and the specific ingredients involved, I would be most grateful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I used to work for Bruegger's and LOVED their relish. It was a sweet pepper relish & I used to order enough for me to take a jar home before it was discontinued. I'm not surprised they were unwilling to help get you any information because that's the type of company they are. I'm sorry, if I find something similar I'll keep you in mind!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cristine,

    Sorry, I don't remember that sandwich. Other than their breakfast sandwich this was the only Breugger's lunch sandwich I really ate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you correct this and let people know this is made by a small specialty company in Denver, Colorado. We have been making it for 25 years. Christosfoods.com

    ReplyDelete