Friday, February 10, 2012

My first Pinterest project, crayon project for Ryan's teacher

I found this on Pinterest and loved it and so we decided to make one for Ryan's teacher. 




It was fun to make.  We went to Michael's and bought a concert tshirt shadow box for $10.  This worked perfectly since you just pop out the back and covered in a cotton and ready for the crayons.  We bought a couple boxes of crayons at the art store. 

Just open your favorite Word editor and choose a font and blow it up until it fills up the page.  I printed two, one for the bottom guide and one for a top guide when you cut the pieces.

The straight cuts are easier if you roll the crayon under the blade.  The angled cuts are done easiest by getting a sharp exacto knife and placing it at the angle of the cut and rocking it back and forth into the crayon until you're about half way through, apply pressure as you do this and the blade should snap through the crayon without breaking it. 

I started by just lining up the crayons in the order I wanted to use them.  I laid down the bottom guide and placed the crayons on top.  I stared by cutting the pieces on the left.  The longer crayons were created by slicing a cover off of other crayons with the same color paper and then extending the crayon.  I used a glue stick to glue the long crayon paper to the new crayon pieces.


 I found it easiest to make the curved cuts by laying the exacto knife on the crayon while it was on the pattern and get the angle right.  I then moved the crayon with the exacto stuck in the top of the crayon to a cutting board, made the cut and put the crayon back. 

I laid the top cut out letter on the crayons when judging cuts.  It helped me quite a bit.


Once I finished the cuts I moved the pieces to the board.  I picked them up one by one and put a line of hot glue on them and then laid them down.  There will be strings of glue all over, just worry about them after you finish gluing them down.  Once dry, they are easily removed.
I penciled in the words and then went over it with permanent marker.  


No comments:

Post a Comment